Culture
Elegant Baroque-Persian style Tbilisi Academy of Arts in need of restoration
27 October, 2015
(1 / 30) Next
"The Tbilisi State Academy of Arts (TSAA) building in Georgia is a cultural and historical treasure and therefore an important part of the country’s heritage. Since the early 1920s, it has fostered generations of talented artists, inspired by the building’s intrinsic architecture and its very status as the first official art school in the entire Caucasian region, overseen and nurtured by renowned artists. This collective of masters and student artists and the talented works that have
emanated from within the walls of the building in turn also represent an integral part of Georgia’s heritage,"htsaacademyaid.blogspot.com reports.

Here is what georgiaphotophiles.wordpress.com writes about  this historical building:

"The Apollon Kutateladze Tbilisi State Academy of Arts is located in one of the city’s most significant historic buildings on Griboyedovi Street (formerly Komandant Street)–an eclectic complex combining elements of Baroque, Classical, and Persian revival. It was built on the site of a mid-19th century church designed by Grigol Ivanov. In the early 20th century, a shareholder in the block of buildings named Nino Qobulashvili commissioned architect Simon Kldiashvili to design a reconstruction. The building was restored in the early 1970s by art academy staff and students under the direction of George Khalatov.

Perhaps the most valuable aspect of the building, however, is its interior–art historian Vakhtang Beridze attributes the lavish interior designs to Iranian master artists and craftsmen working in Tbilisi. The chambers are abundantly adorned with an entire repertoire of Persian motifs and architectural elements: medallions, calligraphy , stucco ornaments, muqarnas, musharabi stained glass, niches, and murals based on the traditions of Persian miniatures.

In 1869-1886, the local vice-regent recorded the building’s use as a clubhouse for the “Tiflis Coterie” (Circle of Tbilisi's citizens), and featured a hotel, library, theatre, and halls for dance and billiards. In the early 20th century, an art academy was established–the first public art school in the Caucasus.

Up until the height of the repressions in 1937, the building housed the art studio of academy professor Henry Hrinevski, the ballet studio of his spouse Maria Perin, the studio of professor Gigo Gabashvili, and the living apartments of Qobulashvili family. Later, the entire building was transferred to the ownership of the art academy, which still functions today as Georgia’s premier institution for higher education in the arts."

Unfortunately TSAA is now under serious threat of degradation and on the brink of collapse. The building requires urgent restoration since the valuable wall paintings and ornaments are damaged, as are the interior and exterior walls of the building.

Check out the gallery:

(1 / 30) Next
Print