Georgian Abbey in Bulgaria called Petritsoni
11 September, 2018
Georgian Abbey in Bulgaria called Petritsoni
There are many sites of cultural heritage with the Georgian roots in other countries. They were built in the past, some of them in the medieval ages, but there are still remained evidence of the Georgian heritage. On of such places is located in Bulgaria, Bachkovo.

The Abbey of Petritsoni, or Bachkovo, is the second largest in Bulgaria after the Riley Monastery. It was built in the village of Bachkovo (previously, known as Petra) which is situated in the Asenograd district,
28 kilometers from Plovdiv, on the right bank of the river Asenitsa (Chepelare), in the Rodop gorge.

The founder and builder of the Petritsoni Abbey was Grigol, Bakurianisdze, from Tao (the historical part of Georgia), who lived in the 11th-century. He was a Commander in the Western Army of the Byzantine Caesar - Alexios Komnenos. In 1083, whilst there was relative peace in Byzantium, Grigol decided to use his own wealth in developing the spiritual life. He chose his own village, Petritsoni for the building of an abbey, as this place was rich in spirituality. His brother Abba, also helped with the construction work in 1083. In 1084 he even established a Typikon (a Liturgical book) for the abbey. This latter consisted of 36 articles, which described the requirements for living within the monastery.
geotv.ge
Petritsoni Abbey in Bulgaria, Photo courtesy: www.umurgulia82.blogspot.com

The Typikon was written in two languages - Georgian and Greek. In Georgian, because Georgian monks read it several times a year, and in Greek, as it was at the time the official state language by law.

Petritsoni's Abbey was constructed at a time when Georgians in the Byzantine-Georgian monasteries, especially at the Athos mountaines, were continually being harassed by the Greeks. Grigol was well aware of this fact and dedicated the monastery exclusively to Georgians. It was specifically written in the Typikon that the monastery could never allow Greek monks to enter or stay there. In the monastery only one Greek was allowed on the premises and that was, the Regulator of Monastery Affairs.

In the 17th century, the Abbey of Petritsoni was under the control of the Constantinople Patriarchate, which promoted Greeks in Petritsi. Unfortunately, the Greeks completely took over at Petritsoni. And so Grigol’s fear was justified. The monastery was thereafter renovated, and the new leadership changed the name of the monastery and called it the Bachkovo monastery, because the village of Petri was also called Bachkov. Petritsoni's Typikon remained as a document describing history, because from time to time honoured guests would record events or other matters in it.
geotv.ge
Petritsoni Abbey in Bulgaria, Photo courtesy: www.umurgulia82.blogspot.com

The Typikon, which is currently kept in the National Library of Sofia, is a copy. It was rewritten by a Georgian monk from Akhaltsikhe, Ioane Markozashvili in 1702.
Later on, a Greek researcher Georgi Mousseus was so interested in the Petritsoni's Typikon, that he learnt the complete text in 1782 and re-published it in 1888. The French scholar Louis Pitt also became interested in the Typikon.

There were three churches in the Petritsoni monastery complex: one large cathedral - named after the Virgin Mary and two smaller churches – John the Baptist and St. George. Historically, the monastery buildings have suffered badly from the actions of invaders. After fires in the 15th century only the Archangel’s Church survived, which supposedly was built after the death of Grigol.

The current situation is that the Monastery is surrounded by residential buildings and is divided into two parts – at the northern end, are located the churches of the Holy Virgin (18th c.) and the Archangel (12th c.)At the southern end of the garden, you can see the church of St. Nikoloz (1834-1836). The monks’ rooms are located in the residential buildings.

Petritsoni’s Crypt

Apart from the churches, located within the Abbey, there is a two-storey crypt on the hill. Grigol is buried there. This is the only building that has not changed since its construction. The Crypt is painted by the Georgian painter Ioane Iveropulos. According to some commentators , he was invited by Grigol himself from Georgia to carry out this work.

Petritsoni’s Abbey is surrounded by a high fence and completely covered in green foliage .It looks like a fortress from the outside. 50 Georgians were invited to help with the construction and painting of the temple. The Abbey still has the original iron gate from the time of Grigol, which still astonishes visitors.

Archangel’s Church

There is evidence to suggest that the Church of the Archangels was built after the death of the founder of the Monastery, during the reign of Emperor Alexios I Komnennos. The temple was painted in 1846 by Ioan Moskh. The Church is currently in a state of disrepair but what remains is somewhat indicative of the old Georgian temple architecture.


The Holy Virgin Cathedral

In the middle of the yard, the church of the Holy Virgin stands on the foundations of the old church. By the time this cathedral was constructed, in 1604, it was the only major cathedral in Bulgaria.
geotv.ge
Petritsoni Abbey in Bulgaria, Photo courtesy: www.patriarchate.ge

Temple of Nicolas

Special attention should be given to the Temple of Nicholas, which included a theological seminary. The boys here, studied theology in Georgian and prepared to become priests, often staying in Petritsoni as priests. A scientific academy was established within the Petritsoni's complex after its first rector was appointed -the famous Georgian philosopher Ioane, later named after the village of “Petritsi”.

The seminary within the monastery was a preparatory stage for the continuing scientific work within the academy. Students were taught grammar, rhetoric, dialectics, music, drawing, philosophy, the binding of books (book binding, assembling) and more.

The Abbey had its own library, but most of its orginal literatary contents were stolen. The Abbey also had a museum where objects and gifts were kept. According to Grigol’s Typikon, there was within the collection a cross of silver, a precious icon of transfiguration, several dozen wooden icons, and many other ecclesiastical items.

First photo courtesy: www.karibche.ambebi.ge

Related stories:



Print
Other Stories
Statues of famous people decorating Tbilisi
Statues and monuments remind passersby about history of the country and its prominent people.
Tsinandali Palace – The first European one in Georgia
There are several palaces of nobleman remained in Georgia. The majority of them were destroyed by different conquerors.
Stunning paintings of Rusudan Petviashvili
Rusudan Petviashvili is a Georgian painter. Her talent is recognized worldwide.
The Phaistos Disc decoded - Inscription on the clay plate is in ancient Georgian language
July 3 makes the 101st anniversary since the Phaistos Disc was discovered on the island of Crete.
Tbilisi at night seems so romantic and attractive
Every city changes its appearance at night. One may not even recognize the same city at night.
Royal palaces in Georgia – Part 2
Georgia, a small country in the south Caucasus, has a long-standing history. Georgian kings and queens used to live in royal residences.
Surami fortress and Lisi Lake captured by talented Georgian photographers
Georgian photographers Giorgi Shermazana and David Pix have captured one of the most beautiful places of Georgia through their cameras.
Royal palaces in Georgia - Part 1
Georgia, a small country in the south Caucasus, has a long-standing history. Georgian kings and queens used to live in royal residences.
Tbilisi in Autumn– beautiful places in the capital
Tbilisi is distinguished by its versatile architecture. There is an old part of the city full of historical buildings, churches and small houses with special carvings and typical balconies.
Keti Matabeli – One of the most interesting Georgian painters
Keti Matabeli is a Georgian painter. Her interesting works fascinate people all over the world.
Georgia - a holiday destination in the South Caucasus: Part  2
Georgia is a guest of honour at the Frankfurt Book Fair 2018. Due to the special occasion, various German journals write about Georgia.
Georgia: Europe in Asia, a guest of Honor at the Frankfurt Book Fair
The Frankfurt Book Fair which is one of the biggest and most significant cultural and intellectual events all over the world chose Georgia as a guest of honour of the 2018 fair.
Georgia - a holiday destination in the South Caucasus: Part 1
Germany's public international broadcaster Deutsche Welle reviews the culture and history of Georgia.
Tbilisoba to be held in October
The annual festival Tbilisoba will take place on the 6th and 7th of October.
Georgia reflected in the photos of Thomas Dworzak
Thomas Dworzak is a German photojournalist. He is a member of Magnum photos (an international photographic cooperative).
Swiss photographer’s photos show what did Georgia look like in 1993
The Swiss photographer DANIEL Spehr uploaded the photos of Georgia taken in 1993 on his Facebook last year.
Monastery of the Cross in Jerusalem
In ancient times religious centers were utilized for the cultural and educational purposes of the country.
American couple about living in Georgia
Georgian couple Katie and Brodie McClains have been living in Georgia for 4 years now with their children Luke, Anabelle and Maddy.
Georgian monasteries in Azerbaijan
Saingilo is a former province of the Kakheti kingdom, Georgia which is now situated in the territory of Azerbaijan.
Georgian Wine Festival 2018 kicks off for a second time on Shardeni Street
It is now the second year when small, medium and large Georgian wine companies will be given a chance to showcase their products through the Georgian Wine Festival.
Must see places in Abkhazia
Abkhazia is situated in the northwestern region of Georgia. It covers 8,660 square kilometres (3,340 sq mi) and has a population of around 240,000.
Discover must see places in Shida Kartli
Shida kartli is located in the eastern part of Georgia. It includes the following towns: Gori, Tskhinvali, Kaspi, Kareli, Java and Khashuri.
A traveler advises to visit Kakheti for the Georgian wine tasting
A traveller Benjamin Kemper shares his impressions about Georgia, the wine country – on www.cntraveler.com.
The breathtaking cave in Martvili, named after a 35 year old deceased researcher
Geographer and a producer of organic wine from Samegrelo, Zaza Gagua published photos taken in one of the caves, located in Martvili Municipality on his “Facebook” page.
Why is Saperavi a unique variety of vine and is it only found in Georgia?
Georgia is one of the main hubs for forming various classical vines. An important book called, "Georgian Amphelography", was published in 1960, where Georgian grape varieties were discussed.
PHOTO OF THE DAY
Exchange Rates
GEL Exchange Rate
Convertor
06.11.2018
07.11.2018
USD
1
USD
2.7383
2.7524
EUR
1
EUR
3.1162
3.1386
GBP
1
GBP
3.5628
3.5864
RUB
100
RUB
4.1226
4.1712