Photos of the Day
100 years since Georgian Orthodox Church restored its autocephaly
25 March, 2017
March 25 is a historical day, since it marks the restoration of Georgian Orthodox Church’s autocephaly. In relation to the 100th anniversary of the restoration of autocephaly, Catholicos-Patriarch of All Georgia Ilia II has held a special service at the Svetitskhoveli Cathedral, in the city of Mtskheta. High ranking officials and public figures have attended the religious ceremony in the cathedral built in the 4th century.  Georgian Orthodox Church was granted autonomy from Antioch in 457 AD but in 1811 it was abolished by the Russian Empire. When in 1917 the empire collapsed, Georgian church regained its autocephaly. It was not until 1943 that Russia recognized this move. After an active campaign led by Ilia II, in 1990 Georgian church’s autocephaly was recognized by World Patriarchy as well. The photo features Jvari Monastery that is one of the oldest churches in Georgia dating back to the 6th century. Jvari (The Holy Cross Monastery) stands on the rocky mountaintop at the confluence of the Mtkvari and Aragvi rivers, overlooking the town of Mtskheta, former capital of eastern Georgian kingdom known as Iberia. It is noteworthy that the monastery is listed among the World Heritage sites by UNESCO.


Svetitskhoveli Cathedral

PHOTO OF THE DAY
Exchange Rates
GEL Exchange Rate
Convertor
24.09.2018
25.09.2018
USD
1
USD
2.6216
2.6226
EUR
1
EUR
3.0854
3.0868
GBP
1
GBP
3.4584
3.4416
RUB
100
RUB
3.9340
3.9814