“Baku-Tbilisi-Ceyhan was blown up Not by Kurdish Bomb But by Russian Laptop”
18 December, 2014
A very important event took place on August 5th, 2008. It was forgotten three days later when Russia invaded Georgia.

On August 5th, at the Baku-Tbilisi-Ceyhan pipeline at the Refahiye settlement of the Turkish province of Erzincan, there was a powerful explosion that caused a large fire at the pumping station. Thirty thousand barrels of oil were spilled. As a result of the explosion, the Baku-Tbilisi-Ceyhan pipeline was left inoperative for 20 days and the pumping was resumed only on
August 25th. Pipeline shareholders suffered of five million USD losses per day. Azerbaijan lost almost one billion USD.
The responsibility for the pipeline explosion was claimed by the Kurdistan Workers’ Party that more than once had carried out terrorist acts on the Turkish territory. The tale seemed completely believable and the Turkish Government once more accused the Kurds of terrorism.
But when British Petroleum and Western Special Services agencies (especially FBI) began a detailed investigation and analysis of the “terrorist act,” they discovered an amazing fact: Instead, a sudden drop in the pressure inside the pipeline caused the explosion. But for some reason, the automatic valve that was supposed to stop the oil spill malfuntioned and so did the alarm. The explosion and fire took place at 11 p.m. but only became known to the Control Service 40 minutes later – discovered by an eyewitness and not by the vast number of electronic sensors which are installed throughout the 1,768-km-long pipeline.
It soon became clear that the Kurdistan Workers’ Party had nothing to do with the explosion; they took responsibility for it on somebody’s request or order.

Baku-Tbilisi-Ceyhan pipeline was blown up not by the Kurdish terrorists with the help of a hand-made bomb but by hackers who used ultra-modern computer technologies. Allegedly, the Russian Special Services were behind the hack. – Bloomberg Research

At the beginning of December 2014, after seven years of investigation, Bloomberg, published sensational information according to which the Baku-Tbilisi-Ceyhan pipeline was exploded not by the Kurdish terrorists with the help of a hand-made bomb but by hackers who used ultra-modern computer technologies. Allegedly, the Russian Special Services were behind the hack.
Bloomberg dared to present such a sensational accusation after several years of journalistic investigation. While studying the case, they used the data of different Special Services of many countries, including the FBI. According to Bloomberg, the events developed as follows:
With the help of Windows operating systems, the hackers accessed one of the computers of the Baku-Tbilisi-Ceyhan pipeline control tower electronic network and managed to take control the computer. With the help of a specially created virus, they penetrated the Control Tower’s main computer. Then they artificially increased the pressure in the pipeline and switched off the alarm sensors and surveillance cameras.
The hackers deleted the surveillance recordings 60 hours prior to the explosion; this caused the investigators’ suspicion. The Special Services managed to obtain the tape-recorded footage with the help of infrared cameras (presumably, the hackers couldn’t manage to delete the infrared footage because the infrared cameras were not connected to the central network that stores the footage filmed by ordinary video cameras). This infrared footage showed that several days before the explosion, at night, two men were loitering around the pipeline, one of them holding a laptop. Both of them were wearing camouflage military uniforms without any insignia.
It was asserted by the investigation that the ultra-modern electronic computer device, which caused the pipeline explosion, blocked not only the alarm sensors’ signals but also the signals that control this strategic pipeline via satellite from the earth’s orbit. The device used to jam such transmissions had to be powerful indeed.
The advanced technology and sophistication of the devices used to blow the pipeline up as well as to disengaging the backup and surveillance systems along with other confidential information, enabled the Bloomberg investigation to conclude that on August 5, 2008, the Russian Special Services were behind the first cyber-terrorism attack act of this scale in history.
Four days after this terrorist attack, Russia bombed the adjacent segment of the Baku-Tbilisi-Ceyhan pipeline on Georgian territory. Ten days later, after erecting a block-post security post at Igoeti, the Russians obtained full control of the pipeline.
It is difficult to say whether invasion of Georgia was intended to stop the functioning of the Baku-Tbilisi-Ceyhan pipeline or vice versa – but from the occupied Akhalgori region, the Russian occupation forces can now blow the pipeline up any time they like.