06 June, 2013
Details of dispersed meeting on Rustaveli Ave. on May 26

Investigation of Suliko Asatiani’s and Nika Kvintradze’s cases, who died during dispersal of the rally on Rustaveli Ave. on May 26 isn’t finished yet. Earlier the law-enforcers declared that the bodies were found on the roof of a shop on Liberty Square and the cause of death was contact with electric current. Later Oleg Zhvania, owner of the shop confessed that he was forced by police to give false testimony:
‘I had to confirm that on May 26 there was failure in supply of current and I addressed ‘Telasi’ but their representatives didn’t come. But on May 26 the current in the shop was not disconnected’. What are the details the investigation is trying to find out this time and what did he write in repeated examination of exhumed Suliko Asatiani’s body? To clarify this we spoke with Shorena Adeishvili, Suliko Asatiani’s wife and his son Paata.
Shorena Adeishvili: - He had foreboding. Nato Dvalishvili and Vilhelm Makharadze were the persons who saw him last.
Q. – When did you learn about his death?
Paata Asatiani: - On May 27, at 7 o’clock in the morning. That day Malkhaz Vardosanidze, ex –head of Samtredia-Vani-Baghdati security service came to us. ‘Is everything ok?’ I asked. He said it was; they just wanted to talk with me and told me to follow them. From Vani I was taken to Kutaisi security department where they said they fixed me at the action where I was beating a baton on a car and that was the reason of my taking to the department. Levan Tkeshelashvili, then-chief of Vani regional police told me that my father was dead, - he was trying to hide during the action, entered the mains booth and was current-struck (later, as you know, different information was spread, that two bodies were found on the roof of a shop on Liberty Square). When I said that I didn’t believe that version he warned me it would be better if I did and keep mum, otherwise I would have problems.
Q. – When did you see the corpse?
A. – The same day. On May 27 my father’s tortured body in a black sack was brought to our house. It was followed by 20 black jeeps. The corpse looked horrible and they warned us that it was forbidden to take photos or videos. The injuries were mostly up the waist: the chest was completely black with multiple bruises, the larynx was torn out, the face – distorted; the left eye-ball was pressed down. All five fingers were cut away and there were traces of hand-cuffs on the wrists. On the back there were haemorrhages covered by brilliant green antiseptic. The corpse looked so awfully that we had to bring a specialist for make-up.
Q. – So far as I know you were offered some money in return for silence.
A. – This was after forty days from my father’s death. Levan Tkeshelashvili came and told me that Malkhaz Vardosanidze wanted to give me some money. Of course, I refused. Vardosanidze not only promised to give money but also to employ me. They guessed that I wouldn’t take money and decided to give it to my mother but she refused too. Tkeshelashvili told her: ‘Refusing to take money means that you aren’t going to keep mum. Paata will have problems, you know’. M y mother was frightened.
Shorena Adeishvili: - I kept silence because of my son. The power was in their hands.
Paata Asatiani: - I’m amazed at those people who think that ex-minister Vano Merabishvili is innocent. Then on whose orders was the May 26 action dispersed? Under what circumstances did Suliko Asatiani die? I have no doubt that everything was conducted on Merabishvili’s order. How the investigation of my father’s case was made, who exerted pressure on the witnesses and etc. is the prerogative of Prosecutor’s Office and I hope everything will be established.