WORLD
Deadly attack at shopping centre in Munich
23 July, 2016
A shooting at a Munich shopping centre which left nine people dead was carried out by one gunman who then killed himself , German police have said.

The suspect was an 18-year-old German-Iranian dual national who lived in Munich, police told a news conference, but his motive is unclear, BBC reports.
geotv.ge
Sixteen people were injured, three critically, police added.

A huge manhunt was launched following reports that up to three gunmen had been involved in the attack.

The body of the
suspect was found about 1km (0.6 miles) from the Olympia shopping centre in the north-western suburb of Moosach.

Munich police chief Hubertus Andrae told the news conference early on Saturday that the suspect had not been known to police and there were no known links to terror groups, although investigations were continuing.

The reports of three suspected attackers came when witnesses saw two people leaving the scene in a car "at considerable speed", but they were later confirmed not to be involved, he added.

"The motive or explanation for this crime is completely unclear," he said.

Mr Andrae also said that children were among the casualties, but gave no further details…

Thousands of people stranded by the emergency and unable to get home were offered shelter by local residents.
geotv.ge
Chancellor Angela Merkel's chief of staff, Peter Altmaier, told national TV: "We cannot rule out that it is linked to terrorism but we can't confirm it either, but we are also investigating in this direction."

Mrs Merkel is to convene her government's security cabinet on Saturday.

Police urged the public to avoid speculation on social media and to desist from using photos or video of their deployments online.
geotv.ge
German security forces have been on alert since a teenage migrant stabbed and injured five people on a train in Bavaria on Monday, in an attack claimed by so-called Islamic State.

The authorities had warned of the danger of further incidents.

Germany's allies rallied to give their support following Friday's attack, BBC says.

US President Barack Obama said the US would give "all the support that they may need in dealing with these circumstances".

French President Francois Hollande offered his "sympathy and support to the German people in this difficult hour".

British Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson said he was "shocked and appalled" by the attack.

"We stand ready to assist our friends in Germany," he added.
Print